I have had several meetings with my thesis supervisor Dr. Simon Poon to discuss my topic and the way going forward. It has been decided that my empirical analysis will be conducted using Eviews. Whilst I have had experience with Eviews in previous econometric courses, I will further explore the capabilities of this analytical tool and review the features that I am already familiar with.
Dr. Poon has provided me with two background readings from the Sloan School of Management Massachusetts Institute of Technology. They are:
- Brynjolfsson, E. & Hitt, L., 'Is information systems spending productive? New evidence and new results', Sloan School of Management Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993.
- Brynjolfsson, E. & Yang, S., 'Information Technology and Productivity: A Review of the Literature',
of Management Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1996. Sloan School
These papers will provide a solid understanding of the previous empirical studies carried out and potentially guide me into the direction of formulating a hypothesis for my thesis.
My next scheduled meeting will be on Friday June 29 where I will officially commence work on my thesis. Since I will be devoting the next few weeks to my exams I hope to accomplish the following by my next meeting:
- Gain a definite understanding of previous studies and their findings on information technology and productivity
- Obtain and review further literature regarding IT business value area
- Obtain and review further literature on productivity.
- Review and further explore Eviews
- A draft of my project plan